Preschoolers, toddlers and young children are always learning. When they observe, touch, see and smell – they are learning. It is a never ending part of their young lives. This ‘learning’ fact is a big reason why it is important for children to experience new things and new environments.
As parents and teachers there are a variety of places or activities that we can provide our kids for our kids to learn from.
Field trips or nature walks create wonderful outdoor activities for children and preschoolers to learn new things. Field trips and nature walks etc do not have to be a hassle but can be simple places where children can observe and learn new things.
Possible Field Trip places where you can take your children or students:
*Police station: Children can learn about the police, what their function in the community is as well as details about the work they do to enforce the law etc.
*Fire Station: Preschoolers and toddlers can learn about fire fighters, their job details. They can learn about the fire trucks, how they help pump water and how firemen keep us all safe, plus learn about fire safety etc.
*SPCA or Humane Society: Children learn about the animals in the animal shelters. They learn how important it is to respect and care for animals properly. They can also learn about duties in the animal shelter etc. As a group you maybe able to walk a few dogs or play with a few small animals.
*Seniors Home or Retirement Home: Preschoolers and young children learn to respect the elderly and infirm. They can talk and socialize with the residents and put a smile on many of the faces of those who are confined to these senior’s homes. This is a positive rewarding experience for all.
* Library: Children can learn about all the books. They learn why libraries are important, what librarians do and maybe even have a few stories read to them from the children’s book section.
* Greenhouse: Preschoolers can learn about what grows and can be grown in greenhouses. How greenhouses work all year long. How to care for plants, flowers, trees etc. They also can learn about different colors found and different smells.
* Zoo: Preschoolers & children learn what zoo’s do, what keepers are and their job duties and how they care for the animals. Children may also learn about different animals that are native to their country and those from other countries. The may also learn about different classes of animals like birds, reptiles, mammals etc.
* Garden Park: Children may learn about landscaping, gardening, different types if plants, flowers and shrubs. They may also learn about different colors and caring for the environment etc.
* Splash Park (Water Park for kids): Great for a hot day where kids can play and have fun cooling off. Remember to ALWAYS use appropriate sun block and SUPERVISE children when in the hot sun and around water.
* Walk in the Forest (nature walk): Children learn to observe nature. What they hear, what they see, smell etc. They can collect leaves, pine cones, acorns, chest nuts, pine needles and other things which can be examined using magnifying glasses in the classrooms as a kids science activity or use these things to create an art project of some sort with the children. (*Always stay on the trail unless you are familiar with different poisonous plants like poison ivy and other things that could make things unpleasant or unsafe for you and the children.)
* Conservation Area: Children can learn about taking care of lakes, rivers, swamps, marshes etc. They also learn different tree species, different types of animals that live in the forests. They may learn about animals that come during the day and one’s that come out at night. There maybe opportunities to learn about sap producing trees and maple syrup etc.
* Go to a Children’s Venue (Play or author): Children can watch a child’s play or see a popular children’s author when they come to town to read a story or sing music.
* Safety Village: Children learn about safety. They learn why it is important to be safe and various things related to laws and obeying rules and how they will benefit from respecting these things.
* Train Station: Preschoolers love trains! They can learn about trains, they can watch them come in to the station. They may even be lucky enough to hear a whistle, talk to a train operator or have a small tour on a train.
* Airport: Children and preschoolers can see all the small airplanes (maybe bigger ones) depending what size airport. They can learn about air traffic, how planes fly and how they communicate etc. They may get to talk with a pilot or other workers and learn about their job duties.
* Grocery Store: Children can learn about different foods. They can learn about food groups, how food is shipped to stores and learn about healthy food choices etc.
* Pet store: Children and preschoolers love pets. A local pet store may welcome a small tour and show off some of their birds, cats and puppies for the children. They can learn about caring for animals and feeding them etc.
**The list of places where field trips and preschool learning can take place is endless. Use your imagination to think outside the ‘box’.
These places usually have some sort of tour, can arrange a tour or would just welcome a visit from some young children or preschoolers who are eager to learn some new things!
Outdoor Activities & Seasonal Activities For Kids:
Different seasons & weather present different field trip opportunities and outdoor activities for children.
Winter time may allow for a different type of nature walk or a trip to a conservation area to learn about maple syrup. Spring time and autumn may create different focus on outdoor activities as well.
Summer time may allow more opportunities for recreation activities like splash parks, water parks; trip’s to beaches or picnics etc.
Preschoolers love these outdoor activities and field trip activities. They always are eager to learn from the things around them, learn more about the people who make up the community they live in as well as learn about animals and nature.
Author Name : [author], Source link